Sunday, December 4, 2011

100% Scientific Research!





Hello, long time no blog! Things have been going really well around here! Just counting down the days until the little one gets here! We went to the doctor for a check-up and the heart rate was picked up on the Doppler, sweetest sound I've ever heard! We should find out whether Baby Simpkins is a boy or a girl in just about 5 weeks and we cannot wait!


In the meantime, I've done some totally scientific research. :) You've probably heard some of the wives tales on predicting what gender your baby is before it's time to actually find out. You know-wedding ring hanging over your belly, Drano test, heart rate. Well even though Jared tried to convince me to just be patient and let the doctor do his thing in January, I was curious and thought it would be fun to see what these things said! Hey, it's a 50/50 shot, right?






Test: Heart Rate




The studies that I've read about say that anything below 140 means a boy, anything above means girl. The rate at 7 weeks was 149, and at 12 weeks was 145. Looking at the rates, you would say girl. Our doctor said the heart rate was in a boy range, but that was so inconclusive to not think one way or another!




Result: Girl/Boy depending on who you talk to!






Test: Ring Test




You get your wedding ring, tie it to some string and hang it over your stomach. If it moves in a circle motion, it's a boy or side to side is a girl. We did this about 5 times just to be sure and every time it was a circle.




Result: Boy






Test: Drano




The idea of dealing with chemicals that would "fume up when combined" not only scared me, but made me feel like some kind of weird scientist. I opted out of this one!






Test: Intelligender




I got this test at Walgreens and the checkout guy said that it worked when he and his fiance did it, so I at least had one testimonial to justify my purchase! On their website, it seemed about as reliable as any method, and I figured it would be fun, so I went ahead and bought it! All you do is pee into the cup and if it changes to orange, it's a girl and green is a boy. After 5 minutes, I checked and it was green!




Result: Boy






Test: Chinese Gender Chart




You simply chart the month you conceived with the age you were at conception. This is one of the most talked about methods and there are some people who swear up and down by this one!




Result: Boy






Test: Random statements via internet




If you're feet are colder than before you were pregnant, it's a boy. Check! If you add up the number of the month you conceived (September) with your age at conception (27), and it's even then it's a boy. Check! If you dont' have early pregnancy morning sickness, it's a boy. Check! I had some sickness around week 11, but that was it.




Result: Boy






Test: A mother's instinct




I have felt this entire time, from the moment we found out I was pregnant, that we are having a boy. I even had a dream last week that we bought blue bottles!




Result: Boy





So it looks like all in all, the tests say boy. But as most things in life go, that probably just means it's a girl. :) Either way, all we really want is a healthy baby! As with most wives tales and things you find on the internet, you have to take everything with a grain of salt and pretty much just use for entertainment purposes. So it's not like I'm painting the nursery blue this weekend based on this! Although, I wouldn't put it past me.....









No comments:

Post a Comment