Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Traditions

When you think of the holidays, you instantly think of those memories and traditions that you grew up with and remind you of home. I think of laying out cookies and milk for Santa, various Christmas mornings with presents and enjoying being the only child at home! and big family gatherings. Next Christmas, we will have a little baby to share the special day with and I am excited to see how it will bring back the magic of Christmas! Once you get to the age where you don't believe in Santa and get old enough to get practical gifts, the magic is pretty much gone. It will be wonderful to have a little kid to buy for and start our own family traditions with!

I already know I want to buy a special "Cookies for Santa" plate. I'm drawn to these when I see them at stores and definitely want one! I also would really like to do the new pajamas every year. When I was a kid, I was allowed to open one present on Christmas Eve night. This could easily be new Christmas PJ's each year! Gotta look good for those Christmas morning pictures! :)

But then there are some traditions that I've heard of lately that have me thinking. One lady at work was saying that she doesn't even introduce the idea of Santa to her children. She explained it by saying that "why should I do all of that work and let him believe in someone that didn't even do anything?" I do see her point, I really do. But on the other hand, believing in Santa and the joy that comes with it are some amazing perks of childhood. Also, what's going to stop her child from going to daycare or school and ruining it for the rest of the class?

One tradition someone mentioned recently was to take your child Christmas shopping but instead of buying gifts for friends and family, you pick from the various Angel Trees and shop for kids in need. I thought this was an awesome idea. I definitely want to teach our child how important it is to give back and to give to those in need. I want him/her growing up thinking of Christmas as a time to give and be thankful, not just about how many presents you receive.

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas celebrating with family and friends! And I hope you continue or start some amazing traditions!

1 comment:

  1. We did the 1 present on Christmas Eve thing too!! And it was usually new pajamas to wear that night!! Chad and I are doing that this year :)

    ReplyDelete